Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hothouse Flowers 1992 video

I had my cam with me one evening in June of '92. The band, Hothouse Flowers was recording in Woodstock and I heard from a friend who cuts hair that they were doing unannounced sets at the Tinker St. Cafe. I think that I was astounded by the talent of the players and took a special liking in Liam O Moanlai, the lead vocalist who, I discovered, began his career as a busker in Dublin. He's known for his deep regard and knowledge of Gaelic/Celtic language and song. Although HHF haven't become household names in this country, in Europe they are loved. What brought me to dust off this old video was seeing Liam in a film played on Link TV, recently, a doc about Irish musicians sharing music in Mali, Africa at the Festival of the Desert. There are lots of vids on Youtube featuring Liam and the band. One of my favorites is "Feet on the Ground"

No comments:

Post a Comment